Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More cool corner badges

In the time since I posted about old corner badges, I found some more photos of corner badges and trademarks. As Andy said in a comment to the original post, the art of the badge seems like a lost art, a forgotten part of the accordion culture. I think he is correct.

 "World Famed Antoria Accordeon"
This badge is interesting because it provides what looks like a patent number, or manufacturer's number, as well as a statement that that accordion was built in Saxony. Most accordions just say "Made in Germany" so this is all helpful information to anyone who wants to find out which company built Antoria accordions.

The attractive brass name plate shown above comes from a helikon by Pingeon & Haldimann. I assume that "Locle" is referring to "Le Locle" -- which is the third smallest town in Switzerland, located in the Jura mountains, the present day center of the Swiss watchmaking industry. How do I know this? I looked it up on the internet.

"Fr. Gessner"
Friedrich Gessner doesn't get much cred today, probably because he sold his company to Matthias Hohner. But throughout the 1920s and as late as 1932, Hohner made an accordion named after Herr Gessner. There was another Fr. Gessner from Breslau who made brass instruments, and I can't tell you if this is the same man or not. Any ideas on that?

"Gundel's Excelsior"
Excelsior was one of those names that has been used by a few different companies. For my money, I'd wager that Hohner built this accordion. I could be downright wrong, but Hohner used a similar 6-pointed star on the spoons, stops, and cabinets of some of its one row accordions.

"Lubas and Son"
This ornate badge is from a Slovenian helikon built or sold by Lubas and Son. There are plenty of similar helikons floating around the auction sites, if you are interested to buy one. I have seen at least one other helikon with this badge (cherubs, trumpets) but with a different name inscribed within the plate.

There is no name on this metal corner, and no artwork, either, but you can see the damage to the cabinet that the metal corner protects against. So this is a nice illustration of both of form and function.

Hohner didn't put metal corner badges on the presswood pokerworks (although they did protect the corners with a different type of metal part). This didn't stop the company from placing their famous anchor trademark, late of the Kalbe company, on the casework. I just love the effect of the big anchor and chain, which looks like something out of a tattoo by "Hori Smoku" Sailor Jerry.

"Excelsior Accordeon"
Another accordion badged Excelsior.

"Gebr. Ludwig's Accordeon"
With the famous pine tree trademark, shown here on both the metal corners and the stops. What is more interesting, and what also commanded the higher price at auction, is the plate between the corners telling of the dealer that sold the accordion. It appears the S.G. Street was a dealer for Ludwig in the early 20th century.

11 comments:

  1. That "Locle" plate is the best yet! Where did you find it? (Do you have the instrument?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, I don't own the accordion with the Locle badge, although I had a near miss with a similar Pingeon & Haldimann two years ago. Around that time I watched several P&H helikons be sold on Ebay, leading me to believe they were more commonly available than they seem to be. I now sorely regret having thought that a little over $150 was too much to pay for a big 4-voice helikon!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an accordion with the badge that says, "Excelsior Acvordeon R&S Trademark" What year was this made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd need more info and photos to even make a guess, but remember that dating old accordions is notoriously problematic and sometimes impossible.

      Delete
  4. My first melodeon was/is an International, and I must admit to being a sucker for accordion badges ever since. I think they're very interesting. I've recently nailed four onto the home-made box for my International, as decoration. (But they came from a Viceroy!!!)
    Here's a selection of posts regarding melodeons, which appear in my Blog: http://ourluxorflat.blogspot.com.eg/search?q=melodeon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Euel Robertson ADMNovember 8, 2016 at 8:03 AM

    Lubas and Sohn acoridian with Gubas and Sohn trumpeter what is up with this..??? Have one..lubas stamp in wood back of melody button Gubas and sohn.its a 30 button 15 bass with extra hole in back center? Want pics?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Euel Robertson ADMNovember 8, 2016 at 8:13 AM

    Can't seem to find another one like it. 30 button melody 15 button bass.
    Don't know how to play one , so ask a stupid question..the button on back left hand is open draw on bellow? What is the other hole for ? Please only hope is that Gubas & Sohn Klagenfurt,trumpets.. closest I have come to finding out what this instrument is..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Franc Lubas, a Slovene, invented the helikon accordion known as "Steirische harmonika" among Austrians and "diatonična harmonika" by the Slovenians. He opened his first factory in 1888. In a short time his firm opened several more factories, and was the largest producer of this type of accordion until closing in 1960. The early accordions bear the name "F.Lubas", while the later instruments say "Lubas und Sohn" "Gubas" is incorrect. I currently own 3 Lubas accordions and have owned about a dozen over the years. Any questions about the Lubas firm I will try to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Euel Robertson ADMFebruary 7, 2017 at 4:15 PM

    Gubas trumpeter plate is correct! Lubas brand mostly obilitiated on back of 40 button melody board..;its the dubble line circle with Lubas in script: that is located below the made in Austria..stamp
    (I misspoke it is not a 30 button it is
    4 rows of 10 button.)
    Can I up load pictures here.
    Why would the Lubas firm debt and their instruments?
    Also the 15 button base section operates only 14 numatic valves, two buttons operate same valve. Hane you seen a 40 button /15 button configued instrument from the firm Lubas before?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Euel Robertson ADMFebruary 7, 2017 at 4:23 PM

    .$$^^#-spell check.. debrand thier own instrument.... So sorry lost my whole message just now .THANK YOU VERY MUCH WAYNE Golob
    For you much apperatied response.
    And again for your time. EuelRobertson pictures at Facebook my name of instrument....god I want to hear it..

    ReplyDelete